Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Speaks the Nightbird


I first started by reading "Queen of Bedlam" which I stopped reading because it seemed to be a sequel. After browsing online, I found that "Speaks the Nightbird" was the first book in which the protagonist, Matthew Corbett made his first appearance. Speaks the Nightbird has quite a few similarities to Boy's Life, which is one of McCammon's most well-known books. Each of them deals with a boy coming of age and gaining maturity, though Corbett is a few years older.

This was a book I enjoyed reading. The author can create a great sense of atmosphere, and I found myself with a wonderful mental image of Fount Royal and it's surroundings. The characters are believable and have depth, and the book has it's moments of horror which are offset by scenes which had me laughing.

Some reviewers say the book is too long, and could have been condensed to fewer pages, but I disagree. This book is 900 plus pages long, and I enjoyed every single page. I look forward to reading The Queen of Bedlam, which starts from where this book finishes off.

No comments: