Monday, January 21, 2008

One on One



After all those years of reading Stephen King - why did nobody tell me he had a wife? Maybe I avoided the whole "King" shelf at the bookstore and the library thinking that one more horror/fantasy would not make much difference. When a friend recommended Tabitha King to me, I did not even bother visiting the bookstore, but borrowed a couple of her books from the local library.

I was completely.blown. away. Her writing has such imagery and power, and reminds me strongly of Joyce Carol Oates. This story of a high school basketball star and his relationship with a girl from a broken home who is an outsider in school and on her team is one of the best books I've read for a long time. This ensures that I'll read the other books in this series, starting this weekend.

A book to savor.

No comments: