Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

I confess I'm still in the middle of this 800 paged behemoth of small type and footnotes of an even smaller font. I had heard of this book many times, but the strange title and the inside jacket description put me off until a few days ago.

I find this book strangely entertaining, much as I find the works of Charles Dickens entertaining. Even the illustrations give such an impression to the reader. The descriptions are detailed, sometimes overly so, but adds to the strange charm of the book. This book combines English society of the 19th century with magic, a weird but engrossing combination.

I confess I'm not done reading the book, and I don't know if I ever will, but it is a book to be savored over time, paragraph by paragraph, with a steaming mug of tea at hand and a box of chocolates nearby.

No comments: