Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Charmed Life: Growing up in Macbeth's Castle



I picked this up on a whim. Cawdor Castle, Macbeth, Scotland - all of these made my imagination take riot. Unfortunately this book did not live up to my expectations, simply because my expectations were quite different. The author, Liza Campbell seems to try to collect her thoughts and facts together but does not succeed. The book's central character, the author's father burdened with responsibility of running a vast family estate loses himself in drink, drugs and extramarital affairs. The characters do not seem to be very well fleshed out, and it is hard to obtain a good impression of what they were like in real life.

I did not enjoy this book. Lovers of Scottish history might enjoy the book, as it has descriptions of Cawdor Castle and other stately homes.