Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Lords of Discipline


I've read all the books Pat Conroy has ever written. Why do I choose to review this one? There are books more recent - "The Prince of Tides" or "The Great Santini". Both those titles I have read more than once, but even so it is "The Lords of Discipline" I find myself reaching for more often.

The editorial review on Barnes and Noble reviews the book: "This powerful and breathtaking novel is the story of four cadets who have become bloodbrothers. Together they will encounter the hell of hazing and the rabid, raunchy and dangerously secretive atmosphere of an arrogant and proud military institute. They will experience the violence. The passion. The rage. The friendship. The loyalty. The betrayal. Together, they will brace themselves for the brutal transition to manhood... and one will not survive." This review is about as full of purple prose as the book, but gets the salient points across quite well.

I think Pat Conroy's books should be read not while imbibing chocolates and tea, but with a tumblerful of alcohol by one's side. His writing annoys you, makes you laugh and makes you cringe...but I'll reach for my copy of "The Lords of Discipline" once more tonight.

No comments: