Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything across Italy, India and Indonesia


Am I the only person in the whole world who didn't like this book? Lots of people I know rave about it, it has garnered great reviews on the web but somehow it didn't make me think "Wow! That's a great book!". In fact it seemed rather boring and blah.

I know that the concept of mediation, becoming aware of oneself as a person and self-discovery are important to many people, and these are some of the topics tackled in this autobiographical travelogue, but there was nothing new that hadn't been repeated by other travelers over the ages. Maybe this book became more popular because of it's endorsement by Oprah and because it was written by a woman who 'discovered herself'.

Boring. Blah. If you want a good travel book written by a woman writer I recommend anything by Dervla Murphy.

No comments: