Saturday, March 1, 2008

Going Postal


Another credit to Gayle for introducing me to Terry Pratchett's books. I should confess that I've only read two and a bit, but all of them had me laughing right from the beginning. I started laughing at the beginning of the series when there is confusion as to what the turtle (on whose back Prachett's Discworld is resting) is doing, and I laughed throughout all of the books. Is the turtle heading for the 'big bang' i.e. to mate with another turtle or is it just a 'steady gait'?

Moist Von Lipwig (pronounced Lipvig), our hero, is trying to reform the Ankh-Morph postal system. Unfortunately this system has been out of commission for many years He is doing this under duress, and he's not even supposed to be alive. Moist must deal with undelivered mail, ghosts, crooked villains and a cat. His post-office building says "neither rain nor snow nor glo m of ni t". ( some of the bronze letters have been stolen) and Moist is going to make sure his mail will go where it is supposed to.

Highly entertaining and very funny. I love this book.


No comments: