Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Christmas at Fairacre


There are times in my life when I want to read a simple uncomplicated book . No firearms, no deaths, no violence, no dragons and no angst. Miss Read's books are perfect for those times. Soothing would be a good word to describe her collective works.

Christmas at Fairacre is a collection of three stories written by Miss Read in the early 50s. Fairacre is a small English village set in the countryside, and Miss Read is the headmistress of Fairacre school. She describes life in the village the small storms in porcelain teacups lovingly and wonderfully.

A wonderful gift for a friend, a teacher or any person who does not like blood and thunder Christmas at Fairacre is a book I have read many times, with my enjoyment increasing proportionally to the times I've read it.

No comments: