Sunday, February 24, 2008

Backyard Giants: The Passionate, Heartbreaking, and Glorious Quest to Grow the Biggest Pumpkin Ever


Why am I reading books about pumpkins? It's nowhere close to October, the only time I'm even remotely interested in a pumpkin for my Jack O' Lantern so what exactly prompted me to read this book I don't really know. Maybe because the cover was so irrepressibly orange. And pumpkins the size of Cinderella's coach would capture anyone's imagination.

Growing the worlds heaviest pumpkin is supposed to be an international sport. Goodness, whoever knew? I didn't until I read Susan Warren's book. The competition is fierce and people resort to many means, some of them vile. Men obsessively care for their pumpkin patches, marriages and relationships suffer and fall and the big weigh-ins approach. This is the stuff of dreams.

A wonderful gift for any gardener, or even for non gardening people who like books that are not your normal run-of-the-mill fiction or biography. Entertaining and - dare I say the word? - sweet.

No comments: